On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 06:09:19AM -0500, Dave Cross wrote:
> Not sure they can even spell 'ssh' here :)
>
> Let me explain the set-up. I have a PC running Win95. I access a number
> of IBM AIX machines using putty. When I first joined, I asked about the
> possibility of getting Exceed installed, but was told that having an
> X server on a PC would generate too much network traffic.
>
> All external internet requests from the PCs go thru a bastard fascist
> filtering proxy. Only HTTP and email gets out as far as I can see.
>
> The firewall around the AIX boxes is even worse. Nothing gets thru
> unless you've asked the network people to put a specific hole in the
> firewall. Oh, and there's no external DNS on these boxes so you can only
> access stuff if you know the IP address.

Sounds like you need httptunnel:

    http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel/

I'm not sure it works on '95, but they do appear to have an NT binary.
I think you need to set up a connection point in the Internet at large
as well (a shell box should do).

I'm not terribly certain, because I've never used it, but I have heard
good things about it.  It might be worth investigating.

-Dom