Redvers Davies wrote:
> and if you don't have a last name???
>
> I have three friends who are surnameless... their credit
> cards have a "." as a surname because the bank computers
> couldn't handle a lack of surname.

An example from the Perl world: Gurusamy Sarathy. His name is Sarathy, and
Gurusamy is his father's name. If he wanted to be complete, he could add
another couple of ancestors in the male line at the beginning:

     ... Srinivasan Venkatasamy Rangasamy Sinnappa Gurusamy Sarathy Naicker

(from a canned FAQ he sent me in response to a question).

If he had a child, it would be called Sarathy Foo.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.