On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:58:17AM -0500, Chris Devers wrote:
> In any event, the leading 1 is never part of the phone number, but you always have
>to dial it whenever making a "long distance" call. This used to mean anything beyond
>a certain distance from your local calling area &/or anything outside of your area
>code, but with 10 digit numbers you'll probably just have to put it in front of about
>every number dialled, thus giving everyone in the country an 11 digit phone number.

With 10 digit dialling, it's 10 digit dialling, no extra '1' required.
E.g. if I was in Houston (which has three area codes and is 10-digit) I
would dial 713 555 1212 regardless of whether I was already in 713.

In fact, if the whole country went 10 digit, the need to use the '1'
would even disappear.

Paul

PS That single-\n paragraph formatting is evil, IMO.