On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 10:04:34AM -0800, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 02:09:50PM +0100, Piers Cawley wrote:
> > the fuckwits at Oftel lumbered us with 01[78]1 in the first place is
> > something of a mystery to me...
>
> Was it Oftel that made that choice or BT? I was assumed it was the
> lumbering ineptitude of The World's Most Evil Phone Company (to whom
> it's customary, and justified, to attribute both malice *&* stupidity).

The word (again from uk.telecom) was that it was officially Oftel,
but BT told them to do it: "Alternatives were [] technically impossible,
[] would confuse the subscribers [] would confuse the elderly [] would
cost business too much".  Pick any that might just possibly apply.

This may be related to how Oftel was originally staffed: my impression
was that it was just the bit of the Post Office that monitored the
Telephone bits: they got split off into Oftel.
--
Chris Benson