On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, you wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 10:19:15AM +0100, James Powell wrote:
>
> > And MySQL has got full-text indexing now - didn't notice that one
> >
> > http://www.mysql.com/news/article-54.html
> > "MySQL 3.23 now has full-text indexing and searching capabilities. This
> > allows you to search your vast databases of
> > textual information, with queries returning search string
> > occurrence/relevance."
>
> Ooh!  Previously I've always had to go for Oracle when that sort of feature
> was needed, because of the Context module for it.  Context is very good,
> but an absolute bastard to use.  [adds mysql to the to-do queue]

again, in a thing wot I dun they suddenly wanted fast textual searches
in MySQL..  I just bunged a soundex of every word into a big table,
and indexed it, then added an identifier of from whence it came .. yeah I
know .. sledgehammer<->nut interface scenario .. but its fookin quick :)
if only MySQL had triggers and stroed procedures I coul;d even have
imlemented it directly inthe db and left the code clean ...

--
Robin Szemeti

The box said "requires windows 95 or better"
So I installed Linux!