On Sun, 01 Apr 2001, you wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 09:14:22PM +0000, Robin Szemeti wrote:
> > Anybody care to suggest a decent purveyor of the Lucent Wavelan cards??

> My two recommended suppliers are;
> http;//www.compconnect.co.uk
> web http://www.freebsd-services.co.uk

ta muchly .. off to surf :)

> I'm assuming you already have a basestation. If not, you'll probably be wanting
> one of those too. I can personally recommend the Apple Airport basestation

yes .. I'd heard Airport was good ..  can you still configuer it if you
don't have an apple to talk to it with? indeed is there any configuration
to do .. or is it jusrt a plain ethernet bridge?

> and I've heard good things of the Orinoco Residential Gateway.

umm .. the Orinoco residential thing .. that seems to have a load of stuff
I don't need like ISDN access and modems ... I was planning on just
bunging a PCI adapter in the border router with an external aerial and
configuring IPCHAINS to send the appropriate stuff down the approprite
intefaces .. the residential gateway seems fine for most uses, but I dint
fancy letting un firewalled packets straight out of my ISDN into the
ether and thence laptops etc,   the PCI adaptor/card solution should work
out about 100 quid cheaper.

so I think I'm settled on the ORINOCO PC Card - Gold really as my
solution. I was having trouble finding a Lucent supplier, various people
stock various things but it seems hard to find the bit I actually want ...

I rather fancied the proper Lucent/Orinoco ethernet/wavelan access point
thing that you screw on the wall .. except the'yre 600 quid a throw
..hell, thats more than I pay for a whole boxen!

thanks for the info I'll give the two places an e-mail.

--
Robin Szemeti

The box said "requires windows 95 or better"
So I installed Linux!