On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Struan Donald wrote:
> * at 17/04 14:00 +0200 Philip Newton said:
> > Mark Fowler wrote:
> > >  3) Write a set of scripts that are all basically the same but have
> > >     different #!/usr/bin/perl lines on the top and tell you the
> > with a bunch of different extensions such as .pl .plx .cgi for
> > combinations of "operating system" + web server that map scripts to
> > interpreters by extension and/or directory rather than by shebang line...
> surely there should be a better way than this? after all the
> combinations involved are quite numerous. is the notion of something
> that does :
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> if [ -e /usr/bin/perl ]; then
>     exec './bin_perl.pl'
> fi
>
> or equivalent too silly? although not sure this sort of thing is possible
> on non unix type systems. OTOH would at least cut down the number of
> files that the person installing needs to worry about.

I don't particularly see the number of scripts this person is installing
as a problem.  The key concept is that these scripts are designed so that
someone who knows *nothing* about their system can basically upload them
all then see which one works.  Once they've got this script working the
script should contain instructions on how to modify any of the
other scripts to work with their server.

I don't think what you're suggesting will work at all on windows.  Or pure
mod_perl...

Feel free to disagree, I'm just suggesting ideas here.  Honestly, I'm not
sure what's the best way...

Later.

Mark.

--
print "\n",map{my$a="\n"if(length$_>6);' 'x(36-length($_)/2)."$_\n$a"} (
   Name  => 'Mark Fowler',        Title => 'Technology Developer'      ,