* at 21/04 10:14 +0100 Robin Szemeti said:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, you wrote:
>
> > I read it as not wanting to fund the various commercial entities one
> > ends up funding in order to actual get a digital box. The idea of
> > putting any more money in the Murdoch empires coffers just for the
> > sake of getting News 24 and BBC Choice certainly doesn't appeal.
>
> ahh .. <re read> yes .. that would be another interpretation ...
> but, again,  it certainly used to be the case and AFAIK it still is that
> you can get ( it might be 3 quid or something $ trivial to cover the cost
> of hte card) a BBC only card that is free on production of your TV
> licence. I know Murdoch et al were not very keen on the idea and try and
> tell you it 'cant be done' etc but ISTR the DTI telling em to just shut
> up and do it.

and almost as if in answer to this i noticed a great many ads for
digital tv wjile vegging in front of smtv on saturday that made much
of the fact that you bought it and itv2 was free, free, free! as it
also showed tvs with news24 etc i imagine all your favourite bbc
digital channels are also free.

struan