The best way I found of dealing with dollars was opening up a bank account
with citibank. They allow you to have a dollar account and a sterling
account and transfer between the two at the day's exchange rate with no
charges or commission. They also give you dollar cheque books, and sterling
cheque books. It proved to be very handy for my first four months work in
the US. Their Telephone banking service is good as is their on-line banking.
The only downside is the requirement to have 2k in your account (in either
sterling or dollars).

andy