This is the sixteenth weekly summary of the London Perl Mongers
mailing list. For the week starting 2001-05-07:

Don't forget the London.pm website for meetings etc. The next meeting
is a social meeting and has been postponed for a week to the Thursday
10th May. It will be at the Penderel's Oak:
http://london.pm.org/

Paul Mison wrote a quick thanks / report of the London.pm -> New York
trip, with links to photos:
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04943.html
http://shadowgirl.net/photos/NYC-apr-2001/
http://husk.org/ny01/

Paul Makepeace informed us of a talk by Craig Mundie, Microsoft Senior
Vice President about "The Commercial Software Model", which contains
lots of open source FUD:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/craig/05-03sharedsource.asp
http://web.siliconvalley.com/content/sv/2001/05/03/opinion/dgillmor/weblog/torvalds.htm

Robin Houston was the first to write in that Larry Wall had completed
"Apocalypse Two", on what parts of Perl 6 will look like. Everything's
an object, more quoting, '.' instead of '->', and more. Damian Conway
posted source filter called DotsForArrows - "even with our primitive
earth technology we can do the reverse today", with a threat that
he'll go further later on:
http://www.perl.com/pub/2001/05/03/wall.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg05001.html

David Cantrell announced he was selling his original Defender. Oh, and
he's been made redundant and is looking for a job:
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04999.html
http://www.interlog.com/~timf/defender_page/defender.htm
http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/cv/

David Cross reminded everyone to submit their proposals for
YAPC::Europe (deadline June 1st):
http://www.yapc.org/Europe/cfp.html

Other topics included: where to drink decent cocktails (ICA bar,
Gaucho Grill, Match Bar), Real Genius, what to eat with waffles,
heart shaped fried eggs, laughing at people who think Perl can't do
for loops, what children taste like, and how to get Buffy characters
to do a meet'n'greet at TPC (if all else fails, Damian suggests a
pony), and how the Soggy Bottom Boys' "hit" is annoying when your lab
colleague plays it repeatedly while dancing aroud with DNA. And I'm
not mentioning the porn:
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/3998/genius.html
http://www.twoshortplanks.com/simon/rutland/psn00022.jpg
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg04991.html

In other news, the New World restaurant now does very good deals:
http://www.mail-archive.com/london-pm%40lists.dircon.co.uk/msg05089.html

Is it not written "every second counts"?, Leon
--
Leon Brocard.............................http://www.astray.com/
Iterative Software......................http://yapc.org/Europe/

... The Killer Ducks are coming!