At 16:31 22/05/01 +0100, you wrote:
>On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 04:16:16PM +0100, Chris Heathcote wrote:
>> From air-conditioned tubes, thru to RIPA, to cheap petrol, it's
>> bandwagon-jumping.
>
>Ah, congratulations! You seem to have been completely politically
>brainwashed; i

The cynicism of the electorate will rise or fall to match the cynicism of the elected,
nothing more.

It is always best to judge politicians on what they do, not what they say. This is
always a problem for the parties not in power, as they haven't had the chance to do
anything. Thus, all they can really do come election time is to point out the things
the party in power has done wrong. This then gets called 'negative campaigning'.

However, it strikes me as simply being the way modern democracy works and we should
just get on with it. We vote for the encumbent party until they screw up big time and
then we switch and repeat the process.

There's no point judging the parties on what they say they'll do, only on what they
did last time they were in power.

--
Jonathan Peterson
Technical Manager, Unified Ltd, 020 7383 6092