On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 03:05:59PM -0500, Mike Jarvis wrote:
> Wednesday, May 23, 2001, 2:45:24 PM, Dave Cross wrote:
>
> DC> Haven't tried the routine you're talking about, but if you ever decide to
> DC> give up on them, the Number::Format module (from CPAN) will solve all of
> DC> your problems.
>
> After RTFM'ing about that fine module, I thought I found my problem.
> I was using thousand_sep instead of mon_thousand_sep (for money).
> Alas, the same problem occurs.
>
> Number::Format gets it's locale info from POSIX::localeconv, so other
> than the niceness of have it doing the formating of the numbers, it
> doesn't look like it will help me much. :(

What happens if you set LC_ALL to "de_DE" in the environment?  I can
make the correct separator appear then using the locale command:

    % env LC_ALL=de_DE locale mon_thousands_sep
    .
    % env LC_ALL=de_DE locale mon_decimal_point
    ,

And I would imagine that perls locale stuff is just a veneer over the C
library...  Especially as it's POSIX::localeconv you're using. ;-)

-Dom