From: "Cross David - dcross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Doggett's Coat and Badge

one of the world's oldest continuing rowing races, held annually in England
along the River Thames from London Bridge to Chelsea, a distance of 4 miles
5 furlongs (7.4 km). The race is a sculling contest between skiffs
originally used to ferry passengers across the river. The boats are manned
by watermen who have recently completed their apprenticeship. The contest
was instituted in 1715 by Thomas Doggett, an English comic actor, to
commemorate the accession of George I in 1714. Doggett provided for a cash
prize and "an Orange coloured Livery with a Badge representing Liberty" to
be awarded to the winner. Although the colour of the uniform has changed
from orange to red and the cash prize is no longer awarded, Doggett's decree
continues to be fulfilled."

This internet thing is quite interesting really once you get the hang of it.
Do I get half a pint for knowing the coat was originally orange?

Barbie.