At 15:53 01/06/01 +0100, you wrote:

>I find it strange that the only surviving English/British religion,
>Paganism, is the target for being abolished.

Is paganism a religion? Isn't it a "none of the above" grouping of
religions? Or does it refer to "What Northern and central Europe did before
the Romans"?

>Mayday was traditionally the
>fertility festival. It would make more sense to embrace the Pagan holidays
>seeing as they are celebrated more evenly throughout the year. Plus they
>don't glorify death and have a healthy celebration for life.

This is all true. But Christian festivals are for the most part
intellectualised versions of the non-christian ones they replaced. Easter
is a fertility festival. Chistmas is a winter feast. All souls day is the
same as Halloween (excepting that Halloween is now just a Woolworth's
marketing mechanism).

The actions and spirit of paganism (say, wearing leaves and dancing round a
tree in May) are good healthy things to do. The cerebral aspects of
paganism are daft ("If I wear leaves and dance round a tree the tree spirit
will make me more fertile"). To the extent Christianity leaves one alone
and replaces the other, I like it. I agree that at times it hasn't done a
very good job of leaving alone. But nothing's perfect...

Jon, thinking Paganism and Christianity should co-exist happily as do Art
and Science.

--
Jonathan Peterson
Technical Manager, Unified Ltd, 020 7383 6092