On or about Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 04:58:11PM -0700, Paul Makepeace typed:

>At the end of the day, the simple fact is that Windows 2000 crashes more
>frequently than *n[ui]x does -- this surely is unquestioned fact.

Bear in mind also this item from Monday's RISKS (21.44):

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:20:53 +0400 (MSD)
From: Oleg Broytmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Insurer considers Microsoft NT high-risk

[...] An insurance company has started to charge 5-15% more if you use
Windows NT as a base for Internet services:

  "We saw that our NT-based clients were having more downtime" due to
  hacking, says John Wurzler, founder and CEO of the Michigan company, which
  has been selling hacker insurance since 1998.  Wurzler said the decision
  to charge higher premiums was not mandated by the syndicates affiliated
  with Lloyd's of London that underwrite the insurance he sells.  Instead,
  the move was based on findings from 400 security assessments that his firm
  has done on small and midsize businesses over the past three years.
  Wurzler found that system administrators working on open-source systems
  tend to be better trained and stay with their employers longer than those
  at firms using Windows software, where turnover can exceed 33 percent per
  year.  http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2766045,00.html

Oleg Broytmann  http://phd.pp.ru/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]