On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 11:10:48AM +0100, Robert Shiels wrote:
> From: "Dominic Mitchell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 10:45:09AM +0100, Robert Shiels wrote:
> > > Between 5 and 6pm I'll be wandering up and down TCR looking for a new
> PDA.
> > > Sony Clie is my preferred choice at the moment. If anyone knows a good
> shop,
> > > or is good at haggling and wants to help, I'm on 07801 814138.
> >
> > Has anybody got the USB syncing thing to work under Linux/BSD?  I tried
> > coldsync, but unfortunately, the USB protocol that sony use appears to
> > be completely different to the visor one that it supports.  :-(
>
> I did some reading on this, and you are of course right. The Sony machine
> has a serial interface, with some kind of USB conversion. Therefore you only
> get serial speed from the sync, but you don't have to mess about with serial
> ports and IRQs and stuff. I suppose I should get a PalmV, but I like Sony
> stuff so much, and it does have the memory stick expansion slot.

I've got a sony laptop with a builtin memory stick slot, so it's not the
end of the world, but it would be very handy to sync to my Linux box as
well...

I tried looking up developer docs for the clie on the web, but there's a
a dearth of information about it, and what there is is protected by
sony's restrictive licensing.  It's a real shame, I wanted to add jog
dial support to a doc reader, but I'm probably not going to be able to
now.  :-(

Sony: Lovely kit, crap support.

-Dom

--
| Semantico: creators of major online resources          |
|       URL: http://www.semantico.com/                   |