On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 11:40:20AM +0100, Robin Szemeti wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2001, Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> > I tried looking up developer docs for the clie on the web, but there's a
> > a dearth of information about it, and what there is is protected by
> > sony's restrictive licensing.  It's a real shame, I wanted to add jog
> > dial support to a doc reader, but I'm probably not going to be able to
> > now.  :-(
> >
> > Sony: Lovely kit, crap support.
>
> their Memory Stick is a closed book. bastards. they only release
> documentation to their partners after big bucks licences .. so any chance
> of seeing memory stick support natively under linux is probably going to
> be from someone with a copy of IDA pro and Softice reversing the windoze
> drivers.

Well, the memory stick works just fine (at least under FreeBSD).
It just appears as a SCSI-over-USB device (and I'll wager that's how
it's implemented in the clie as well).  I suppose that the PCMCIA memory
stick reader does something totally different?

> I just dont get why they wont release specs .. surel;y the plan is to
> sell as many memory sticks as possible? ..or hav I missed someting?

Pass.  Withholding developer information to *anything* seems nuts to me.

F'rinstance, I'd love the jog dial to work on my laptop, too...

-Dom

--
| Semantico: creators of major online resources          |
|       URL: http://www.semantico.com/                   |