On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 12:47:09PM +0000, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> As it happens I went for up to 64 chars, lowercased, allowing [\w ]; the

We've just been completely screwed by a dev-environment (Uniface as it
happens, which is shame because I reckon it's the best of the
dbms-backed 4GLs) which set a 64 char limit on usernames.  This was OK
until we wanted to use the LDAP for id's so students could authenticate
with the same password everywhere ... but our dn-s are 65 characters
long.

Fortunately Compuware have produced a patch.  Student info-system goes
live shortly with the testing reduced to hours instead of weeks :-(

Learn the IPv4 lesson: bugger short-term performance/storage issues,
take the biggest sensible size ... and make everything 4x bigger!
--
Chris Benson