On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 05:30:52PM +0000, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> Does anyone here have experience using both MySQL and PostgreSQL to some
> reasonable degree they could offer tips or anecdotes on moving from one
> t'other? I'd be interested in any other comparative experiences too like
> speed, ease of use, etc.

MySQL is faster, easier, less reliable and less capable.  Going from MySQL
to PostgreSQL is pretty easy, you just need to be careful about permissions
on tables and using sequences instead of auto_increments.  Going the other
way is far too much like hard work.

> How close is PostgreSQL to Oracle in terms of its SQL capabilities?

It's done everything that I've expected it to.  Triggers and SPs can be
written in several languages with PostgreSQL.  plpgsql is not *quite*
identical to pl/sql, but it's pretty damned close.  It lacks some of the
more esoteric features of Oracle of course, but still runs faster than
Oracle on skimpy hardware.  I haven't had a chance to compare them against
each other running on big beastly machines.

--
David Cantrell    |    Reprobate    |    http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

   Perl may be the best solution for processing a text
   file, but asking a group of Perl Mongers clearly isn't
                                                  -- aef, in #london.pm