On 17/11/02 23:21 +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> If they're irrelevant I'll save time and space by not bothering to answer.

I don't feel that these questions, or the addenda provided by MBM are
in the least bit irrelevant, and I would tend towards reading alex's
title as unnecessarily self-depracating.

As a potential leader of London.pm, I would have hoped that you would
apply a similar lenient reading to such postings, and do your best to
accommodate the questioner.

The worst criticism that I've ever seen levelled at london.pm is that
the group has an image of being exclusive and unfriendly. Whether this
accusation is fair or not, it is up to the group, and in particular
its appointed leader to counter any such perceptions.

I still remember keenly when I joined london.pm. I actually found the
group by accident whilst browsing for some advice on a random,
long-forgotten perl problem. I was a self-taught newbie perl
programmer, with no real contact with other programmers. I have learnt
an incredible amount by sitting and quietly watching this list,
attending meets, both social and tech, and asking for advice and input
occasionally.

When I came to london.pm, I had no pre-conceptions, and over time
found that I was prepared to deal with the slightly frosty air that
sometimes permeates, because for every unhelpful bout of curmudgeonly
mumbling, there were many valuable pieces of advice.

If I hadn't persevered, I doubt I would have made some of the very
good friends I have through this group, and I would probably still be
toiling away in an extremely naive manner with perl.

I think the single most important function of the group is to nurture
its members, particularly new ones, and act as a community focus for
them. We should be accommodating wherever it is even remotely
possible. "I can't be bothered" is simply not good enough.