On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:48, Philip Hellyer wrote;

  > To my knowledge, there is no filling that requires mercury
  > amalgam, although I have heard that many dentists say that they
  > do.  I think that these statements stem from a lack of ability on
  > the part of the dentist, or a lack of commitment to mercury-free
  > alternatives.  My s.o. has both root-filled teeth and crowns, none
  > of which are now mercury based.  Root fillings are particularly
  > nasty because not even the mercury-free dentists agree on what
  > substances are safe to use.

My other half is a dental assistant, so I've had some of these matters
drilled into me (boom boom).

Always ask for `composite' fillings.  They should be a gooey plastic
that is set with a blue or green light.  I've had teeth that strictly
speaking needed a crown (a complete reconstruction of the top of the
tooth) and where 75% of the tooth was missing.  There is no excuse for
not using it.

She had to ask around in NZ to find a dentist that would do
`thermo-fill' root canal treatment.  This method is fast (took under
45 minutes for me) and safe.
--
Sam Vilain, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  "Civilization is a movement, not a condition; it is a voyage, not a
harbor."
 - Toynbee -