Jorge Armando Medina wrote:

> I think he ask because topic: 101.1 Determine and configure hardware
> settings with key:
>     Know the differences between coldplug and hotplug devices.
>
> Im not sure if is confusing, because in some linux systems used to use a
> coldplug system (analog to hotplug subsystem).

In udev terminology, »hotplug« means that the device is added to the system
after the udev subsystem has been running for a while. »Coldplug« is what
happens when udev boots, in order to handle devices that have been part of
the system all along. Think »hard disk in a bay inside the actual box«
vs. »USB stick« -- both of them show up in /sys and /dev in essentially the
same way, but the one was already there when the system was booted and is
likely to stay put until it is shut down, while the other may come and go
arbitrarily.

The idea is to use the same mechanism (udev) to manage both flavours of
device, which makes a lot of sense to me.

As Jorge correctly remarks, there used to be a system called »hotplug« which
was basically a precursor of udev. I don't recall a »coldplug« subsystem.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau ... Linup Front GmbH ... Linux-, Open-Source- & Netz-Schulungen
anselm.ling...@linupfront.de, +49(0)6151-9067-103, Fax -299, www.linupfront.de