Matt Rice wrote:

> With that said, we need to set up the infrastructure to enable this
> governance and I've been thinking that using a public blockchain would be
> interesting.  There are some non-blockchain open source projects to help
> with this like: https://heliosvoting.org/, too.

I appreciate that these days all the cool kids are playing around with
blockchain technology, but I think the proper way of going about things is to
come up with a set of requirements (i.e., what we actually want to be able to
do) and THEN look for a suitable implementation method (which may or may not
end up being a public blockchain).

In particular, blockchains are probably the most overhyped piece of technology
of the 2010s (much like Java was the most overhyped piece of technology of the
1990s, and so on). Running the LPI on blockchain technology would presumably
only be useful if enough people can be incentivised to waste CPU cyles (and
boost their electricity bills) signing transactions on the blockchain such
that a suitably large “mining pool” can be guaranteed. Bitcoin does that by
effectively giving successful blockchain signers free money, but that may not
be an option for LPI. And operating a “public blockchain” only makes sense if
LPI (or some cabal of outside interests) doesn't control the majority of CPU
cycles in the mining pool because no one else can be bothered. Finally, since
all of the voting is going to be on LPI matters, anyway, I personally have no
issues with the LPI running an efficient centralised voting infrastructure to
facilitate this; on the contrary, I probably would prefer that.

If you want to figure out how to do distributed Condorcet voting on the
Internet with – comparatively – very little resources, the Debian project has
been doing that literally for decades. It needs a GnuPG keyring for the people
who are entitled to vote, but we may want that anyway, on general principles.
(In comparison to random public-blockchain implementations, GnuPG is very
well-understood and widely established. We even require people to know about
it in LPIC-1.)

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau · ans...@tuxcademy.org · https://www.tuxcademy.org
Freie Schulungsmaterialien für Linux und Open-Source-Software