Could be a problem with the permissions for your spooling directory,
/var/spool/lpd/lp.

LPRng has a utility, checkpc, for managing your spooling directories.  Try
running "checkpc -f" as root.

Phillip Griffith  (803) 952-8776
Information Technology Department
Westinghouse Savannah River Company

Jess Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

12/18/00 10:37 PM
Please respond to lprng

        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        cc:
        Subject:        LPRng: Trouble after initial installation

I recently installed the most recent version of LPRng on my Dell Pentium
II-400 MHz system running Redhat 7.0.

I have an Epson 740 connected to parallel port 1. I can print to the
printer in "Printtool" using the Print Directly to Port and I get the one
line test message. But if I try to print either the ASCII or Postscript
test page, I get the following series of messages.

                 ... transfer to lp@localhost failed
                 NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER with ack
'ACK_FAIL'
                 sending str '^Blp' to lp@localhost
                 error msg: 'printer 'lp', chdir to '/var/spool/lpd/lp'
failed 'Permission
denied''

Any help in resolving this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jess

with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest [EMAIL PROTECTED]
unsubscribe LIST <mailaddr>     |  unsubscribe lprng [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you have major problems,  send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
word
LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.