David L. R. Houston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I got a considerable number of replies to this posting.  Alas, nothing,
> but nothing, has helped.
>
> Short and sweet question: has anyone gotten LPRng to function for a
> Macintosh client (running OS9 or OSX) that sets up its printers with the
> Desktop Printer Utility, LPR Printing using IP? (i.e. NOT using Appletalk)
>
> [ ... ]
>
> If *anyone* has managed to use Desktop Printer Utility, LPR printing using
> IP on a Mac with LPRng (and NO Appletalk), I would _LOVE_ to hear from
> you.

We only have a couple of mac users printing to network printers at our
site, but setting them up with the printer utility was simple and worked
on the first try for me.

If it helps, I'm running LPRng v3.7.9, and I think (but have not confirmed)
that the mac users are running Mac OS 9.

If it helps at all, here's the printcap entry for the printer that one of
the mac users prints to:

engl_prn5r:force_localhost
engl_prn5r:server
        :bk