I tried that, and "Print directly to the Printer"
with the same results.

> Make sure the format for the queue is literal (binary) so
> the print server does not run filters on the print job.

No filtering is being done, and the Print Processor is
set to "raw" on the Win2k box.

> If these hints do not help we need to find out whether the
> problem is related to transfering the print job from the PC
> to the server or to sending from server to printer.

It's from the Win2k PC to the server;  it never
finished spooling, so it never went to the printer.

Sending it directly to the printer's own lpd,
with the PC set to the default of "Start Printing
Immediately" did exactly that. The only changes in
settings were using raw protocol instead of lpr,
and printing to port 9100 instead of the queue.
The 2138 has a hard drive, and printed at
full speed-no dribbling of the job.

Why not just print directly to the printer?
Because...the Ricoh/Lanier print server
has an annoying tendency to go off into
la-la land if multiple users/drivers are
talking to it.  I can crash it just by sending
a PS job to it;  within 4 print jobs, the
queue is corrupt and the printer has to be reset.
Sometimes I had to reformat the hard drive
just to force a rebuild of the queue structure.
I finally troubleshot it down to a decent
solution;  use ONLY the RPCS drivers, and
use LPRng to feed it the jobs.  Now it
prints all day, every day.  I can
use holdall while changing out fuser oil
rollers, etc, and noone knows the
printer's been down.

I call the 2138 "The Chipper"; feed trees
in at one end, and stuff comes out the other...