From: Patrick Powell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 11:37 AM
To: Dwayne Pence
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: server printcap flag

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:55:30AM -0600, Dwayne Pence wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> I am running running Redhat Linux 8, with LPRng and have a question.
> All of the printers are hung off a terminal server with serial ports,
> and it has a built in lpd.  So all of the printers in the printcap
file
> have a :rm and :rp entries.  My problem is the terminal server lpd
> does/will not respond to lpq, lpstat requests, therefore I want the
> queues, stats to come from the Redhat box, not the terminal server.  I
> read an very old email from the LPRng list where you had mentioned a
> "server" printcap flag that only lpd would read, which I thought would
> work, but I don't think I understand how to put it in printcap.local.
> When I added it to an already defined printer that is in printcap and
> restarted lpd, it griped about overlapping entries, rp and lp.  Any
> suggestions ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dwayne Pence

You want to use the 'remote_support' option to prevent the
lpq, etc. queries.  The option has the format:

    remote_support=RMQVC
Where R= lpr, M = lprm, Q = lpq, V =lpc -v , C = lpc

If you only want to use LPR then you can set:

lp:remote_support=R

--
Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            6741 Convoy Court