Hi Craig,

OK that's simple but will the cups clients also be abler to remove jobs
and see the queue with their native cups versions of 'lpq' and 'lprm' ?

cheers
        ~christoph

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Craig Small wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 12:37:13PM +0100, Longina Przybyszewska wrote:
> > Does anyone has experience with CUPS client and LPRng server?
>
> I done this before.
>
> > Cups clients should  produce a job and  do all filtering and
> > option setting, than  send a job as 'raw' to the printer server who does
> > all accounting and printing after recognizing type of job  .
> I'm confused because you say the cups clients filter then send the job
> as raw.  I assume that the cups clients filter and send the "cooked"
> job to the lprng server which should do no more further filtering.
>
> It's pretty simple to do. First setup lprng to talk to the printers
> and make sure you can remotely print in lpd.perms. Then tell the cups
> clients there is a lpd printer over on that LPRng server...
>
> Make sure lprng configuration doesn't have any filters. If you do
> have some clients that need filters then have a raw printer item
> that talks to the printer itself and a filtering printer that bounces
> the job to the raw printer item.
>
>  - Craig
> --
> Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
> Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/   MIEE         Debian developer
> csmall at : enc.com.au                      ieee.org           debian.org

> with:                           | example:
> subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> unsubscribe LIST <mailaddr>     |  unsubscribe lprng [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> If you have major problems,  call Patrick Powell or one of the friendly
> staff at Astart Technologies for help.  Astart also does support for LPRng.
> Also, check the Web Page at: http://www.lprng.com for any announcements.
> Astart Technologies  (LPRng - Print Spooler http://www.lprng.com)
> 6741 Convoy Court
> San Diego, CA 92111
> 858-874-6543 FAX 858-751-2435

best regards
        ~christoph

--
/*   Christoph Beyer     |   Office: Building 2b / 23     *\
 *   DESY                |    Phone: 040-8998-2317        *