From: OPSAWG [mailto:opsawg-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Acee Lindem (acee)
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2018 9:24 PM
To: Guyunan (Yunan Gu, IP Technology Research Dept. NW) <guyu...@huawei.com>;
g...@ietf.org; ops...@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] [GROW] FW: New Version Notification for
draft-gu-network-mornitoring-protol-00.txt

Hi Yunan, Shunwan, and Zhenbin,

What are the advantages of inventing a new protocol over just using YANG and
NETCONF, RESTCONF, or gNMI?
[Robin] In the draft we simply mention the difference between NMP and protocols
you mentioned for the management plane. Though there is maybe some overlap
between the two types of protocols, the protocols you mentioned is not enough
for monitoring the control protocol. For example, would we like to use YANG and
NETCONF, RESTCONF, or gNMI to export the packets of control protocols such as
update message of BGP and/or ISIS PDU, etc. for the purpose of monitoring?

Operators and vendors are doing this anyway. A second alternative would be to
listen passively in IS-IS (or OSPF for that matter). Why would anyone want
this?
[Robin] In fact we tried the method you proposed. From our point of view, the
basic design principle should be that the monitoring entity should be decoupled
from the monitored entity. This is to avoid following cases:
1. The failure of operation of the control protocol may affect the monitoring
at the same time.
2. The limitation of the control protocol will also have effect on the
monitoring. For example, for the method of listening passively, if there are
multiple hops between the listener and the network devices, it has to set up a
tunnel as the virtual link for direct connection. But the TCP-based monitoring
protocol need not care about it.

As far as where it belongs, we have a rather full agenda in LSR so I don't
think we want to devote time to it there at IETF 102.
[Robin] Though the WG the draft should belong to is not determined yet, we
think the work belongs to OPS area and send the notice to GROW WG and OPSAWG.
We also applied for the presentation in the two WGs. We should have copied the
notice to the related WGs of RTG area. So the LSR WG and RTGWG WG mailing list
are added. More comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Acee

On 7/2/18, 8:20 AM, "GROW on behalf of Guyunan (Yunan Gu, IP Technology
Research Dept. NW)" <grow-boun...@ietf.org on behalf of guyu...@huawei.com>
wrote:

    Dear GROW & OPSAWG WGs,

    We have proposed a Network Monitoring Protocol (NMP) for the control plane
OAM. NMP for ISIS is illustrated in this draft to showcase the benefit and
operation of NMP. Yet, we haven't decided which WG it belongs to.

    Comments and suggestions are very welcome!

    Thank you!

    Yunan Gu
    Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd