Hi,

Comments inline

Yours Irrespectively,

John

From: Idr <idr-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of John Scudder
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 4:34 PM
To: Alvaro Retana <aretana.i...@gmail.com>
Cc: lsr@ietf.org; idr@ietf. org <i...@ietf.org>;
draft-ietf-idr-te-pm-...@ietf.org; Hares Susan <sha...@ndzh.com>;
idr-cha...@ietf.org
Subject: [Idr] Available Bandwidth erratum 5486 [was: Re: AD Review of
draft-ietf-idr-te-pm-bgp-14]

+lsr to the cc

Hi Alvaro,

On Nov 28, 2018, at 4:01 PM, Alvaro Retana
<aretana.i...@gmail.com<mailto:aretana.i...@gmail.com>> wrote:

[major] AFAICT, Available Bandwidth is the only definition that is different
between rfc7810/draft-ietf-lsr-isis-rfc7810bis and rfc7471.  The difference
comes from the correction made to address this report [1].  Instead of trying
to fix the definition here, I think that a similar report should be filed
against rfc7471.  Please submit it and I will approve.

[1]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5486<https://urldefense.proofpoint..com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.rfc-2Deditor.org_errata_eid5486&d=DwMFaQ&c=HAkYuh63rsuhr6Scbfh0UjBXeMK-ndb3voDTXcWzoCI&r=hLt5iDJpw7ukqICc0hoT7A&m=pNTkxj6RjNdyIYjBZKCUjdk9QWVKbBBhnnfj9xq2jjU&s=QvXYEMqBgaIkuM7plcuybtDVxI3JTI-4EndPcX0ier8&e=>

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't that erratum all wrong?

Here is why I think so. I agree that there is a problem with the RFC 7810
paragraph in question:

   Available Bandwidth: This field carries the available bandwidth on a

   link, forwarding adjacency, or bundled link in IEEE floating-point

   format with units of bytes per second.  For a link or forwarding

   adjacency, available bandwidth is defined to be residual bandwidth

   (see Section 4.5) minus the measured bandwidth used for the actual

   forwarding of non-RSVP-TE label switched path packets.  For a bundled

   link, available bandwidth is defined to be the sum of the component

   link available bandwidths minus the measured bandwidth used for the

   actual forwarding of non-RSVP-TE label switched path packets.  For a

   bundled link, available bandwidth is defined to be the sum of the

   component link available bandwidths.

It seems obvious that there was a cut-and-paste problem or similar, since the
same sentence is duplicated with minor changes. But the erratum leaves the
duplication! The erratum wants it to be:

Available Bandwidth: This field carries the available bandwidth on a

   link, forwarding adjacency, or bundled link in IEEE floating-point

   format with units of bytes per second.  For a link or forwarding

   adjacency, available bandwidth is defined to be residual bandwidth

   (see Section 4.5) minus the measured bandwidth used for the actual

   forwarding of non-RSVP-TE label switched path packets.  For a bundled

   link, available bandwidth is defined to be the sum of the component

   link (residual) bandwidths minus the measured bandwidth used for the

   actual forwarding of non-RSVP-TE label switched path packets.For a

   bundled link, available bandwidth is defined to be the sum of the

   component link available bandwidths.

So the proposed "fix" is to leave the sentence duplicated, but change
"available" to "(residual)" in the first copy? I don't think that could
possibly be right. Just eyeballing it, it seems to me as though the correct fix
would be to change the paragraph to be:

   Available Bandwidth: This field carries the available bandwidth on a

   link, forwarding adjacency, or bundled link in IEEE floating-point

   format with units of bytes per second.  For a link or forwarding

   adjacency, available bandwidth is defined to be residual bandwidth

   (see Section 4.5) minus the measured bandwidth used for the actual

   forwarding of non-RSVP-TE label switched path packets.  For a bundled

   link, available bandwidth is defined to be the sum of the component

   link available bandwidths minus the measured bandwidth used for the

   actual forwarding of non-RSVP-TE label switched path packets.  For a

   bundled link, available bandwidth is defined to be the sum of the

   component link available bandwidths.

[JD]  John's suggestion, above, is correct.

in which case it would match RFC 7471. Or possibly:

   Available Bandwidth: This field carries the available bandwidth on a

   link, forwarding adjacency, or bundled link in IEEE floating-point

   format with units of bytes per second.  For a link or forwarding

   adjacency, available bandwidth is defined to be residual bandwidth

   (see Section 4.5) minus the measured bandwidth used for the actual

   forwarding of non-RSVP-TE label switched path packets.  For a bundled

   link, available bandwidth is defined to be the sum of the component

   link available residual bandwidths minus the measured bandwidth used for the

   actual forwarding of non-RSVP-TE label switched path packets.  For a

   bundled link, available bandwidth is defined to be the sum of the

   component link available bandwidths.

I have no idea which of these is right, but the erratum can't be right.
Naively, they look algebraically the same, it's just a matter of where in the
equation you subtract the measured bandwidth. Maybe they truly are exactly
equivalent or maybe there is some subtlety that makes one right and one wrong.

If the first option above is right, then RFC 7471 looks to be correct as
written. If the first option is wrong, then RFC 7471 would need its own erratum
as you suggest, I guess.

$0.02,

--John

P.S.: I see the defect remains in draft-ginsberg-lsr-isis-rfc7810bis-00.