On 3/8/19, 7:22 AM, "Lsr on behalf of Christian Hopps" <lsr-boun...@ietf.org
on behalf of cho...@chopps.org> wrote:

    tony...@tony.li writes:
    >Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net> writes:
    >>
    >> See TORs are one case .. but there are ideas to run dynamic protocols to
the hosts too. I have heard there was even a volunteer to write ISIS-lite to be
used on hosts :)

    > I would…. discourage that concept.

    Perhaps Robert is referring to when homenet was considering using IS-IS
instead of a brand new protocol (babel) for use in the homenet. The proposed
solution for very simple devices (e.g. thermostats or anything w/o much ram
etc) was to use the overload bit. This wasn't just for hosts though, but for
very small devices that could still serve as simple router for a network behind
them.

        https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-mrw-homenet-rtg-comparison-02.txt

    Christian Franke coded up "tinyisis" in 1500 lines of C code. :)

        https://git-us.netdef.org/projects/OSR/repos/tinyisis/browse/tinyisis.c

We have " IS-IS Routing for Spine-Leaf Topology" to address resources on a TOR
while still having multiple northbound links. At least in the context of
flooding reduction, I don’t think we need anything IS-IS lite.

    Chris.