From: Lsr [mailto:lsr-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of bruno.decra...@orange.com
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2019 11:41 AM
To: lsr@ietf.org; draft-ginsberg-lsr-isis-invalid-...@ietf.org
Cc: Alvaro Retana
Subject: [Lsr] draft-ginsberg-lsr-isis-invalid-tlv

Hi all,

To be clear, I support that document. Thanks for writing it.
I have some comments, mostly asking for even more of this/such document.
(although I expect that some comments will trigger a discussion ;-) )

----
§3.1
"Any codes in a received PDU that are not recognised shall be
   ignored."

   Therefore the presence of TLVs in a PDU which are not allowed MUST
   NOT cause the PDU itself to be rejected by the receiving IS.

I don't think that "not recognized" is the same as "not allowed".

IMHO, the fact that unknown TLV are to be ignored seem rather obvious as this
is a designed goal of the TLV format. Yet, it's good that
[ISO10589<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ginsberg-lsr-isis-invalid-tlv-01#ref-ISO10589>]
 explicitly stated it.
I definitely support that LSR defines the behavior for TLV (and sub-TLV) which
are not allowed. But I find the justification and reference debatable. I'd
rather prefer that we remove it, or at least remove the "Therefore". I'd favor
something along
OLD: Therefore
NEW: In addition, this document specifies that
----
§3.3

Registries associated with sub-TLVs are

   associated with the TLV Codepoints Registry and specify in which TLVs

   a given sub-TLV is allowed.  As with TLVs, it is required that sub-

   TLVs which are NOT allowed MUST be ignored on receipt.

In addition to "not recognized" and "not allowed by the registry" I believe
that there are others cases that would benefit from been clarified. Such as:
- not allowed by the specification (in a given case/condition)
- REQUIRED (MUST) but not present e.g. "it MUST include this sub-TLV on
point-to-point adjacencies" https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5305#section-3.3
- Malformed (bad syntax)
- Correctly formed but illegal value (in a given case/condition)

I would like LSR to specify all types of error handling. Either in this
document, or in another document if general error handling is considered out of
scope of this document.
---

§1

"   PDUs which are valid MUST be accepted even if an individual TLV

   contained within that PDU is invalid in some way."

I wish "valid" be further defined. E.g. do you mean from a syntax/parsing point
of view? Or do you mean something else?

In particular
[ISO10589<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ginsberg-lsr-isis-invalid-tlv-01#ref-ISO10589>]
 use the terms "invalid PDU syntax". If you mean the same, I'd favor using the
same terms. If you mean something different, please clarify the differences.

---

"   Nevertheless, a certain degree of "common knowledge" is assumed on

   the part of implementors in regards to these behaviors."

What do you mean by that? That some "common knowledge" are required for the
protocol to (correctly) work but that this knowledge is not written in a
specification? If so, I believe LSR should write down such behavior.

"   This document serves to make explicit what is expected.  While it

   does not alter any existing protocol behavior or specifications, it

   is intended to close any gaps between what is explicitly stated and

   what has been "commonly understood"."

Same comment.

A behavior is either specified or not specified. I don't understand the meaning
of the term "commonly understood".

Thank you,

Regards,

--Bruno

PS: To clarify, I'm copying Alvaro as an individual contributor, as he
expressed interest in error handling in BGP-LS which for some code points may
be related to error handing in IS-IS.

falsifie. Merci.

this message and its attachments.

modified, changed or falsified.