Hi Acee,

Thanks for your review and comments. Please check inline below.

From: Acee Lindem (acee) <a...@cisco.com>
Sent: 18 November 2019 06:18
To: draft-li-ospf-ospfv3-srv6-extensi...@ietf.org
Cc: lsr@ietf.org
Subject: "OSPFv3 Extensions for SRv6" - draft-li-ospf-ospfv3-srv6-extensions-07
Questions/Comments

Hi Authors,
I know you have asked for adoption and I have some comments on the draft. I
think these need to be addressed or at least answered prior to any LSR adoption
call. In my opinion, this document is not ready.

  1.  Why do you define a separate SRv6 Locator LSA to advertise SRv6
reachability? One of the primary benefits of RFC8362 is to advertise all the
information associated with a prefix in one LSA. Now you have negated that
benefit by putting this information in a separate LSA.
[KT] We need to define a new LSA since this is not an extension for the normal
prefix reachability. For doing FlexAlgo with SRv6, the locators are used for
reachability computation within the FlexAlgo. If these were advertised as
normal prefix reachability then routers which are not part of the FlexAlgo or
even routers not supporting SRv6 would program them. We’ve tried to explain
this in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-li-ospf-ospfv3-srv6-extensions-07#section-5.

Note that in ISIS, the SRv6 Locators are introduced as a new top-level TLV
along side the Prefix Reachability TLV. So what we propose in OSPFv3 is
consistent with that model.

  1.  Why do always advertise 128 bit values even when you don’t need it? You
should only advertise the part of the Locator or SID required dependent on the
LOC:FUNCTION split (padded to a 4 octet boundary). I would expect the SIDs the
are Sub-TLVs of the Locator TLV would have that locator in the high-order bit…
[KT] I believe the Locator being a prefix can be advertised only up to the LOC
part – similar to how it’s done for IS-IS. The SID is being advertised as a
128-bit value (IPv6 address and not subnet/prefix) and hence we’ve tried to be
consistent with the same in OSPFv3 as well.

  1.  Similarly, what is the purpose of the SRv6 SID Structure Sub-TLV?
ietf-spring-srv6-network-programming defines the locator to the first N bits
and the function to the remaining 128-N bits so I don’t see the need for this
TLV. At the very least, there should be text defining how it is used.
[KT] This is consistent with
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-spring-srv6-network-programming-05#section-3.1

Also, some editorial comments to make the text consistent with other OSPF
documents.

  1.  There is a mixture of US English and UK English of preferred spellings.
Please use the US English as the is the style of IETF documents. For example,
lose the extra “u” in “behavior”.
  2.  OSPF doesn’t define sub-sub-TLVs, sub-sub-sub-TLVs, or any other
alliterative TLSs.  This is an IS-IS artifact. Any TLV that is not a top-level
TLV is a Sub-TLV and can be defined at any level of nesting. The GMPLS optical
encodings in OSPF are very heavily nested.
  3.  Sub-TLV is capitalized, not “sub-TLVs”.
[KT] Mea culpa … we’ll fix all of these in the next update.

Thanks,
Ketan

Thanks,
Acee