From: iesg <iesg-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Padma Pillay-Esnault
<padma.i...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, 2 December 2019 at 21:44
To: Eric Vyncke <evyn...@cisco.com>
Cc: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <nore...@ietf.org>,
"draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv2-h...@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv2-h...@ietf.org>,
Alvaro Retana <aretana.i...@gmail.com>, "lsr-cha...@ietf.org"
<lsr-cha...@ietf.org>, Yingzhen Qu <yingzhen.i...@gmail.com>, The IESG
<i...@ietf.org>, "lsr@ietf.org" <lsr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv2-hbit-11: (with
DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hello Eric

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:31 PM Eric Vyncke (evyncke)
<evyn...@cisco.com<mailto:evyn...@cisco.com>> wrote:
Alvaro

I do not mind too much the transient inconsistencies but more about longer term
inconsistencies (1) hence my question about simulations / tests in the absence
of mathematical proof.
The R-bit has always been in OSPFv3 (AFAIK), so, OSPFv3 does not have the same
issue.

-éric

(1) having some routers being H-bit aware and other routers not processing the
H-bit could probably introduce long term inconsistencies and loops.

As described in section 5
"All routers supporting H-Bit MUST check all the RI LSAs of nodes in the area
before actively running the modified SPF to account for the H-bit in order to
verify that all routers are in routing capability. If any router does not
advertise the Host Router Support capability then the SPF Modifications
(Section 4) MUST NOT be used in the area."

The H-bit aware routers will revert to normal operation if they detect routers
not processing the H-bit. Therefore, if ever there is a discrepancy it not
cause long term inconsistencies nor loops. In effect, H-bit processing is
either done by all or no one in the area.

Let me know if this answers your question.
Padma

On 02/12/2019, 17:59, "iesg on behalf of Alvaro Retana"
<iesg-boun...@ietf.org<mailto:iesg-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of
aretana.i...@gmail.com<mailto:aretana.i...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On November 30, 2019 at 11:21:01 AM, Éric Vyncke wrote:

    Eric:

    Hi!

    > == DISCUSS ==
    >
    > -- Section 5 --
    > The risk of having inconsistent view of the topology with H-bit aware and
    > unaware routers seems possible to me (albeit perhaps only transient). Has
    > this feature been tested / simulated in large scale networks?

    Yes, as with other operations in a network (reconvergence, for
    example), there is a risk of transient inconsistency.  §5 already
    makes recommendations to mitigate transient states.  What explicitly
    are you looking for to address your DISCUSS?

    I'll let the authors reply about tests/simulations.

    Thanks!

    Alvaro.