Ben -

Inline.

[Les:] If interoperability between implementations is a concern, then the
obvious choice is to use a standardized application.

Placing limits on the scope of a user defined application is both unnecessary
and unenforceable. I say "unenforceable" because, if you have a mixed vendor
network, there is no guarantee that User Bit X means the same thing to both
implementations. And since I cannot tell the identity of the implementation
originating an advertisement, I cannot tell if the User Bit advertised in Area
Scoped LSPs (Level-1 in IS-IS speak) has the same meaning as the same bit
advertised in Domain-wide LSPs. So I cannot detect when a violation occurs.

To me, User Defined Application is a space for implementations to do whatever
they choose - subject to the syntax rules defined in the draft. Maybe they use
it as an experimental space for something they will eventually standardize.
Maybe they use it to implement a proprietary application that they have no
intention of standardizing. As it does not impact operation of the standard
applications, I see no reason or benefit for the draft to impose restrictions.

As context, User Defined was added based on comments received from some WG
members. It isn't needed to support the goals of the draft. It is an option
that at least some members felt was desirable to have.

> > Issue #2

> > You replied:
> >
> > " If everyone expects a sequential allocation policy, then when
> > developing/testing, it's natural to look at "what's in the registry now"
> > and write code that uses the next value.  If three people do that at the
> > same time, we can end up with deployed software that has conflicting
> > interpretation of that value.  (This has happened for TLS, yes, with three
> > different extensions using the same value.)  My suggestion would be to
> not
> > say "SHOULD be assigned in ascending bit order", and perhaps just note
> > (without normative language) that it is advisable to allocate from the
> > lowest byte that has bits remaining, to allow for compact encoding.  It's
> > not actually necessary to be strictly sequential in order to minimize the
> > number of octets transmitted."
> >
> > LES: I understand this concern. How about if we change policy to "Expert
> Review"?
>
> I think that's moving on an orthogonal axis -- the TLS registry where we
> had three extensions squatting on the same codepoint is a registry with
> expert review.  (My expectation is that Standards Action is actually safer
> in this regard than Expert Review would be, since there's enough points of
> coordination in the process of advancing a standard that someone is likely
> to notice the issue, but I don't have any hard data or proof to support
> that expectation.)

[Les:] Standards action is limited (by
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8126#section-4.9 ) to Standards track and BCP.
This does not allow for Experimental track. So I think it is better to move to
"Expert Review".

> To throw another concrete suggestion out there for focusing comments,
> perhaps
>
> OLD:
>
>                                                               Bit
>    definitions SHOULD be assigned in ascending bit order beginning with
>    Bit 0 so as to minimize the number of octets that will need to be
>    transmitted.
>
> NEW:
>
>    Allocating all bits from the first octet before allocating any bits from
>    the second octet, etc., provides for the smallest possible encoding when
>    transmitted.

[Les:] OK. How about:

"Bit definitions SHOULD be assigned such that all bits in the lowest available
octet are allocated before assigning bits in the next octet. This minimizes the
number of octets that will need to be transmitted."

??

   Les