>> Moreover, TTZ provides smooth transferring between a zone and its single
>> pseudo node. That is that a zone can be smoothly transferred to a single
>> pseudo node, and the pseudo node can be smoothly rolled back to the zone.
>
> This strikes me as the important difference from area proxy. It certainly
> adds complexity to things, I wonder if it's worth it?

FWIW, we looked at this quite seriously a while ago. Turning abstraction on and
off is simply not a daily occurrence. Doing it properly requires careful
thought and planning.
Where are the boundaries? What prefixes will be advertised and with what
metrics? How will the affect traffic flow?

The corner cases that happen when you are in this transition are large. We have
to deal with the issue of the metrics that are abstracted away.  We chose to go
down the path
of intra-area vs. inter-area metrics, exactly as OSPF does. But if you do this,
then you have an issue: the metrics are different when abstraction is enabled
or disabled and
different nodes will compute different paths depending on which LSPs have
propagated to them. This seemed like a wonderful opportunity for forwarding
loops. This
is especially problematic when abstraction is enabled, as there is now an
entire area’s worth of LSPs that need to age out before you can be assured of
consistency.
Yes, you can try to purge them, but purges aren’t the most reliable thing in
the world.

Net net, we felt that the complexity exceeded the benefit. Yes, there is
benefit there, but from the pragmatic viewpoint of making it work in
production, the risks and costs seemed very high.
We expect that operators would want to make the change in a maintenance window
anyway, and as long as you’re having a maintenance window, you might as well do
things the
simpler way.

Regards,
Tony