Les,

> As per the draft:
>
> Area Proxy TLV is advertised by IERs in their L2 LSP.
> Area Proxy TLV is NOT advertised in the Proxy LSP.
> So how do the OERs become aware of the
>
> “prefix and  SID that represents the entirety of the Inside Area to the
> Outside  Area”
>
> ???
>
> I assume that they learn this because the Proxy LSP (at least) contains a
> Prefix Reachability TLV with the same prefix/SID that was advertised in the
> Area Proxy TLV.
> Is this correct? If not, please correct me.

That’s correct.  If this isn’t crystal clear from the draft, please work with
me to get it clarified to your satisfaction.

> Also explain why it is necessary for something other than a prefix
> reachability advertisement to cause an entry to be created in forwarding for
> a prefix – and ONLY when received in an L2 LSP?
> This is unprecedented.

It is unprecedented because there we are proposing something unprecedented.  I
repeat: "There is no other mechanism whereby system A can advertise a prefix
SID to a number of other systems and have them install receive/POP forwarding
entries.”

It is NOT creating forwarding TO a prefix.  It’s reception.

> If I am right, you then have  multiple TLVs which advertise duplicate
> advertisements – even if not in the same LSP - which exposes you to the
> problems I mentioned.
> My goal is to have one – and only one – advertisement which creates
> forwarding state.

Well, I’m sorry, but your goal is unachievable.  The Proxy LSP is only relevant
outside of the area.  The Inner Node LSPs aren’t circulated outside of the area.

> My second goal is not to invent a new SID type/advertisement when the object
> associated with it (a prefix) already has a defined SID type.

Which is why we’re using the Prefix SID.

> What I object to – and am concerned about – is that you seem to invent your
> version of SR for Area Proxy even when you use the same object (a prefix)
> that SR already supports.

Again, SR does not support the semantics that we require.

> As you know, I was prepared to support a new type of SID when you actually
> were defining a new object type. The fact that you decided NOT to invent a
> new object type is fine with me – but please do not claim that you need a new
> SID type when you don’t.

I’m sorry that you still don’t understand.  We do need something different.

Tony