From: lsr-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:lsr-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Christian
Hopps
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 10:47 PM
To: 王爱俊 <wangai...@tsinghua.org.cn>
Cc: John E Drake <jdr...@juniper.net>; Christian Hopps <cho...@chopps.org>;
lsr-cha...@ietf.org; Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)
<ginsberg=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>; lsr@ietf.org; Jeff Tantsura
<jefftant.i...@gmail.com>; draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-prefix-origina...@ietf.org;
lsr-...@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] WG Last Call draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-prefix-originator-06

Isn't this just adding an analogous extension that already exists in RFC7794?
[WAJ] No. RFC7794 is just one example that to illustrate, as the companion IGP
protocol, OSPF can also accomplish this. And, actually, there are differences
consideration in this draft for the protocol extension.

I don't think we need to do a lot of convincing at this point. I agree with
Les, if you want to talk about use cases (especially ones that are
controversial!) then the correct place for that is in a new informative draft.
[WAJ] we have discussed the use case before and state the discussion results at
the appendix part. We will not emphasis and expand the use case more. If one
does not agree the statement of this appendix, we can discuss online or
offline. We just need to make the statement in appendix is correct.

Otherwise, especially if the cases are controversial, this can be seen as doing
an "end-run" to avoid the debate b/c people want the extension, but maybe don't
agree with your use case.
[WAJ] One should point out which statement in the appendix is controversial, we
can correct it. This use case is the origin of this draft, not the results.

Legislators do this sometimes adding things they want personally to popular
bills, that other people may not want, but since people want the main bill they
vote for it anyway, in the US it's called "adding pork" or "pork barrel
politics". :)
[WAJ] The appendix is not added later, but exist at the first beginning. This
is the origin of the bills.

Thanks,
Chris.