Hi Gyan,

From: Gyan Mishra <hayabusa...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 9:13 PM
To: Acee Lindem <a...@cisco.com>
Cc: "draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucem...@ietf.org"
<draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucem...@ietf.org>, "lsr@ietf.org"
<lsr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Lsr] Comments on "Prefix Unreachable Announcement" -
draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucement

Hi Acee

Answers in-line

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 7:02 PM Acee Lindem (acee)
<acee=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org<mailto:40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>> wrote:
Speaking as WG member:

Authors,

I have comments and questions on the draft – many of them that I have raised
before.

1.   If you use the standard advertisements and overload the prefix-originator
information, all the routers in the domain will need to support it and you will
have a fork lift upgrade. Otherwise, the ABRs which don’t advertise a prefix
unreachable will actually attract traffic from down level routers. I’ve raised
this several times in the past.
       Gyan> Yes to use the PUA feature all nodes must be upgraded.

Section 7 has been updated to reflect.

7<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucement-06#section-7>.
  Deployment Considerations

   To support the PUA advertisement, the ABRs should be upgraded

   according to the procedures described in Section
4<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucement-06#section-4>.

This just says the ABRs need to be upgraded. I’m saying all the routers need to
be upgraded since any router in the path misinterpreting the PUA and actually
installing it as a positive route could result in a blackhole or worse, a loop.

1.

2.   How do you know what prefixes to protect with this PUA mechanism? Is it
any prefix you’ve seen in the past? What if the prefix is actually taken out of
service? What if it was a misconfiguration? What if the prefix is unreachable
when the ABR IGP is started?
So the main scenario this is used for is RFC 5283  inter area LDP extension for
LPM match instead for MPLS standard exact match for FEC.  For this MPLS
scenario where the operators had carved core AS into multiple areas or levels.
So the BGP next hop attribute update source loop0 is what we are tracking that
is summarized so when the egress PE goes down the LSP now does not black hole
on the ABR and the control plane convergence occurs with the PUA mechanism and
forces the LSP to get built to the alternate PE.  In this scenario and maybe
even others the PUA is being used to track the next hop and force the failover.
This solution can apply as well to non MPLS, IP based scenario BGP next hop
convergence to trigger the control plane convergence with PUA negative
advertisement so can also apply to SRv6.

So how would the ABRs know which prefixes these are? Is it any summary
component or are they configured?

1.

2.   The forwarding plane behavior is non-standard? How does it work? This is
clearly under specified
There is no change to the data plane forwarding
 behavior.  The change is with the control plane to set the next hop loopback
from the down PE that no longer in the RIB/FIB to null so the control plane
converges on the alternate next hop.  When the control plane convergence occurs
based on the PUA negative advertisement the data plane follows and the RIB/FIB
get programmed as they would normally.

Ahh… I was about to ask this same question on the “IS-IS and OSPF Extension for
Event Notification” draft. So while both these drafts claim to not upgrade the
route table, both do but indirectly when next-hop for the BGP loopback is
removed.

1.   .

2.   This is somewhat minor compared to the other

1.   comments, in section 6 both conditions 1 and 2 can be true at the same
time. In the event the other comments are resolved, this section needs some
work.
 We would make #1 less then or equal to do both conditions can never be true
simultaneously in the next update.
Ok – this needs to be clarified as well as whether one stops as soon as a
condition is satisfied, i.e., an implied “else” between conditions.

[Image removed by sender.]<http://www.verizon.com/>

Gyan Mishra

Network Solutions Architect

Email gyan.s.mis...@verizon.com<mailto:gyan.s.mis...@verizon.com>