Dan,

On 20/08/2021 15:22, Voyer, Daniel wrote:
Peter,

On 2021-08-20, 8:46 AM, "Lsr on behalf of Peter Psenak" <lsr-boun...@ietf.org on
behalf of ppsenak=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

     Dan,

     On 20/08/2021 14:14, Voyer, Daniel wrote:
     > But generic-metric is a “new attribute” and is not in ASLA – RFC8919,
     > why can’t we use TLV 22 again ?
     because any new link attribute for which advertising application
     specific values make sense should use ASLA encoding. Metric is
     definitely such an attribute, similar to TE metric and delay (that is
     used as metric for flex-algo).

But technically what prevent us to use TLV 22 ? it's out there already

it's not about technically not being possible, it's about doing the right thing and following the existing architecture that has been defined for ASLA already.

thanks,
Peter

     thanks,
     Peter

> [...]
     > Ron Bonica <rbonica=40juniper....@dmarc.ietf.org>, "Acee Lindem (acee)"
     > <acee=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>, "lsr@ietf.org" <lsr@ietf.org>
     > *Subject: *[EXT]Re: [Lsr] RFC 8919, RFC 8920, Flex Algo, and Flex Algo
     > BW Constraints
     >
     > we are going in rounds, +1 Les!
     >
     > Cheers,
     >
     > Jeff
     >
     >         On Aug 18, 2021, at 1:20 PM, Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)
     >         <ginsberg=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org
     >         <mailto:ginsberg=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>> wrote:
     >
     >         Ron -
     >
     >         Indeed – it is long past the time when we should be focusing on
     >         the “big picture”.
     >
     >         I think Acee has stated it as succinctly as anyone – let me
     >         repeat for emphasis:
     >
     >         /“The LSR WG developed ASLAs to cover usage of the link
     >         attributes (including metrics) for different applications and
     >         mitigate all the vagaries of the original TE link attribute
     >         specifications. ASLAs are implemented and deployed. I believe it
     >         would be a mistake to bifurcate the IGP standards with yet
     >         another way of encoding link attributes for different
     >         applications.”/
     >
     >         ASLA is an architecture – one designed to assure that we can
     >         explicitly identify the set of applications using any link
     >         attribute . It is designed to be extensible both to new
     >         applications and to new attributes. It was long debated in the
     >         WG and underwent extensive review and is now standardized in
     >         RFCs 8919, 8920. It has been implemented and deployed and forms
     >         the basis of interoperable implementations.
     >
     >         Now you (and others) decide to invent a new attribute. The
     >         attribute certainly can be advertised using ASLA, but instead of
     >         acknowledging the existence of the ASLA architecture and
     >         defining the new attribute to use ASLA, you decide that maybe if
     >         we advertise this attribute in some new way there might be some
     >         modest advantages. This ignores the consequences of having to
     >         implement attribute specific encoding rules in order to map
     >         attributes to applications. These consequences include greater
     >         code complexity and higher probability of interoperability
issues.

     >         And, based on your list of attributes below, what have we to
     >         look forward to? More attribute specific encoding rules leading
     >         to even greater code complexity and greater chance of
     >         interoperability problems it would seem.
     >
     >         Look, you haven’t convinced me that your alternative proposals
     >         are “better”. But even if they were, it would require a much
     >         greater benefit than you are claiming to justify discarding the
     >         architecture that is designed to fully address the association
     >         of link attributes and the applications which use them.
     >
     >         I don’t expect to convince you – and you have not convinced me –
     >         and we probably never will agree. But since it is clear that
     >         ASLA does work for all the cases that have been mentioned in
     >         this and related threads, I think this discussion is a waste of

                                        Ron

     >         Juniper Business Use Only

Ron