Hi Robert,
thank you for your kind words and the discussion. Please find my notes
in-lined below and tagged GIM2>>.

Regards,
Greg

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 1:11 AM Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net> wrote:

> Greg,
>
> Thank you so much for your input to this discussion. As you can see it is
> not easy to convince some folks :)
>
> I just want to clarify one thing in respect to using multihop BFD between
> RR and PE. There is nothing about data plane path detection with that
> suggestion. Basically BFD is used here as a better ping. No more no less.
>
> Few points:
>
> #1 - Yes, if my control plane RR-PE network fails and the normal data
> plane to PE is still up I will have a false positive. Solution: Use more
> than one RR.

GIM2>> Now we have to reconcile states reported by RRs. Doable but adds
complexity.

> #2 - Yes BFD process liveness or not on PE does not guarantee service
> liveness of the PE - that is always true as BFD does not check real service
> data plane processing anyway

GIM2>> Agree,

> #3 - If my network to PE fails but RR-PE works fine PE will be considered
> alive. Network down detection is not the goal for discussing PUA/PULSE.

GIM2>> Thank you for the clarification. Though I wonder how such separation
benefits network operation.