HI Albert,

> This is precisely the issue that this draft intends to address,
> making sure that OSPF is not established, until BFD is UP.

What this draft tries to address is obvious. The real issue is however in
the true meaning of what "BFD UP" trigger means.

Some folks, perhaps including yourself, naturally and intuitively think
that BFD UP means that BFD session has been established and data plane has
been confirmed to work between local and remote node over the subject link.

That is unfortunate not the case modulo local implementation hacks. BFD
RFC5880 says that BFD UP only means that BFD session signaling completed.
It says nothing about the actual data plane being tested at least once
between two peers on the very link you are going to bring OSPF adj UP.

RFC5882 recommends implementation of BFD dampening but as we established
this does not cover the point of the discussion. It also discusses
interaction between BFD and client(s) when a session goes DOWN. It is
pretty silent on the session UP event leaving this pretty open to the
implementations.

*Proposal: *

If you do not want to add any text describing any recommended behavior on
the client why just not add instead a single sentence defining that in the
context of this draft "BFD UP" trigger as received by the client means not
only BFD session UP but at least one full test cycle to pass successfully ?
Is there any harm associated with adding such statement ?

Regards,
R.

PS,

> We know that BFD UP, as it stands today, does not mean that the link is
100% good
> (e.g. MTU-sized packets might not get through). IMO, link quality issue
is
> outside the scope of this draft.

That is not the point. The point it to make link really works in the data
plane. The extra testing is indeed out of scope and as I mentioned it was
just an example.