Hello Gunter,

I agree with pretty much all you said except the conclusion - do nothing
:).

To me if you need to accelerate connectivity restoration upon an unlikely
event like a complete PE failure the right vehicle to signal this is
within the service layer itself. Let's keep in mind that links do fail a
lot in the networks - routers do not (or they do it is multiple orders of
magnitude less frequent event). Especially links on the PE-CE boundaries do
fail a lot.

Removal of next hop reachability can be done with BGP and based on BGP
native recursion will have the exact same effect as presented ideas.
Moreover it will be stateful for the endpoints which again to me is a
feature not a bug.

Some suggested to define a new extension in BGP to signal it even without
using double recursion - well one of them has been proposed in the past -
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-raszuk-aggr-withdraw-00.txt At that
time the feedback received was that native BGP withdraws are fast enough so
no need to bother. Well those native withdrawals are working today as well
as some claim that specific implementations can withdraw RD:* when PE
hosting such RDs fail and RDs are allocated in a unique per VRF fashion.

Then we have the DROID proposal which again may look like overkill for this
very problem, but if you consider the bigger picture of what networks
control plane pub-sub signalling needs, it establishes the foundation for
such.

Many thanks,
Robert