Cogent analysis of the situation

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 27, 2022, at 6:39 PM, Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)
<ginsberg=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

[External Email. Be cautious of content]

(Preamble: All of what I am going to say I have said many times before – on the
list – off the list – in private conversations – in WG meetings…
I don’t say this to start a discussion with the WG authors – it seems clear
that we don’t agree and have no path to agreement.
My purpose in saying this is to respond to the ongoing existence of this draft
and offering my opinion as to what action the WG should take.)

The mechanism defined in this draft is broken. Not only is it not backwards
compatible – the PUA advertisements will be misinterpreted to mean the exact
opposite of what is intended i.e., the intent is to signal that a prefix is
unreachable, but you do so by using an advertisement which legacy nodes MUST
interpret as meaning reachable. This is simply broken and should not be done.

The authors deserve credit for bringing the attention of the WG to the problem
space – but the solution offered is not deployable. Given the long period of
time during which this draft has been published and the many times it has been
presented/discussed in the WG I think it is now time to say thank you to the
authors for their work, but the WG is not interested in adopting this draft.

   Les