Hi Warren,

Thanks for your review and comments. Please check inline below for response.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2022 at 4:10 AM Warren Kumari via Datatracker <
nore...@ietf.org> wrote:

> Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-bfd-strict-mode-09: Yes

> introductory paragraph, however.)
>

> Please refer to
> https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/
> for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-bfd-strict-mode/

> COMMENT:
>
> Thank you for this document.
>
> When I started reading this document / read the Abstract, I must admit I
> thought "This is a silly idea, and smacks of creeping featuritis and
> premature
> optimization. This is an already solved problem - you bring up OSPF and
> *then*
> use that to signal that you want BFD...." and then I actually read the
> Introduction section and the use-case / utility became clear...
>
> My only question (and I'm suspecting it has already been discussed) if is
> there
> should actually be some (small) delay after the BFD session establishment
> allow the interface to "settle" / give BFD a second or two to figure out
> if the
> link is actually "stable" - having BFD come up and then immediately
> bringing up
> the adjacency, only to have BFD pull it down 10ms later doesn't seem to
> solve
> the issue really...

KT> Agree. This was brought up during the WG discussions (as indicated by
Robert). As a result of that discussion, the document was updated. More
specifically to your point, please refer to
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-lsr-ospf-bfd-strict-mode-09#section-5
and the text below:

   The use of OSPF BFD strict-
   mode along with mechanisms such as hold-down (a delay in the initial
   OSPF adjacency bringup following BFD session establishment) and/or
   dampening (a delay in the OSPF adjacency bringup following failure
   detected by BFD) may help reduce the frequency of adjacency flaps and
   therefore reduce the associated routing churn.  The details of these
   mechanisms are outside the scope of this document.

The reason for these mechanisms being discussed but not standardized in
this draft is that there are different approaches (some already in
implementations for a long time). Things like the "hold-down" timer, that
you refer to, can be made per-protocol (clients of BFD) or can be done by
BFD (called BFD dampening by some implementations) on behalf of these
clients. For a per-protocol approach, a follow-on question is if this can
be simply a local configuration (also something provided by some
implementations) or if it needs to be signaled/negotiated - here we would
likely need similar work in multiple protocols. For the BFD approach, it
would be anyway outside the scope of this document.

> unless it is expected that the OSPF exchange is
> sufficiently slow that BFD would detect it before OSPF is actually working?
>

KT> This is clearly not the expectation and we cannot make any such
assumptions.

Thanks,
Ketan