Watson -

Before responding to your comments, I point out that this is a bis of RFC 8919
- and it makes no changes to the protocol extensions defined in RFC 8919 - it
only provides some clarifications so that readers/implementors are more likely
to have a common understanding.
The Security section is unchanged from RFC 8919. As it passed Security review
at that time,  there was no reason for the authors of the bis draft to think
that any changes to the Security section would be required.

Still, you are looking at this with a fresh set of eyes - let's see what can be
gleaned from your comments.

Inline...

[LES:] The extensions define a new way to advertise per link attributes. To
guarantee that all nodes who utilize the link attribute information in a
constrained SPF associated with a legacy application (RSVP-TE, SR Policy,
and/or LFA) use the same set of link attribute information, it is necessary to
utilize a form of advertisement that all nodes in the network supporting that
application understand. If the new ASLA advertisements are sent in the presence
of one or more legacy nodes, those nodes will not process the new ASLA
advertisements - thereby introducing inconsistency with non-legacy nodes. That
is why Section 6.3.3 specifies that legacy advertisements MUST be sent in the
presence of legacy routers.
This isn’t a security related matter - it is identifying a form of
misconfiguration to be avoided.

If an attacker were to introduce ASLA advertisements in the presence of legacy
nodes, this would have no impact on legacy nodes as they would not process the
ASLA advertisements.
More on this below.

> If
> that's the case, then an attacker can enable the new advertisements on a
> router
> and cause problems, while the securities consideration section seems to say
> this is
> only per application.

[LES:] If an attacker were to advertise new ASLA advertisements, this could
affect the operation of nodes which support the protocol extensions. But as the
new ASLA advertisements only apply to the application(s) specified in the
Application Bit Mask(ABM) associated with those advertisements, the attacker's
impact is limited to those applications.
This is what the text in the Securities section is stating.

> IS-IS is normally within an adminstrative domain, which does minimize many
> of the impacts,
> but the impact of an attacker having access aren't completely solved by
> authentication,
> particularly if messages can have effect at large distances.

[LES:] The Securities section in RFC 8570 speaks to the issue - specifically
man-in-the-middle attacks - which is why we reference the RFC 8570 securities
section.
I do not see that anything needs to be added.

> I think the security considerations section needs some revision in light of
> this,
> either clarifying that IS-IS must be used within a domain, or more attention
> paid
> to thinking about what could go wrong.

[LES:] At this point I do not know what to add as I believe the Security issues
you raise have been addressed by the existing text.
Perhaps you could be more specific as to what you believe is required?

   Les