Aijun -

From: Aijun Wang <wangai...@tsinghua.org.cn>
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2024 10:56 PM
To: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>
Cc: Christian Hopps <cho...@chopps.org>; Huzhibo <huzh...@huawei.com>; Acee
Lindem <acee.i...@gmail.com>; Yingzhen Qu <yingzhen.i...@gmail.com>;
lsr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Lsr] WG Adoption Call - draft-wang-lsr-stub-link-attributes
(01/05/2024 - 01/19/2024)

Hi, Les:

Let’s keep the discussions simple.

Please answer the following two questions that you haven’t responsed directly
in previous mail:
1)        How the existing point-to-point based solution(RFC9346/RFC5392) solve
the broadcast(LAN, A.1 Figure2) inter-AS topology recovery scenario---There are
multiple neighbors on one interfaces, which are located in different AS. How to
encode the information within one inter-AS reachability TLV?

[LES:] In the absence of the existence of an advertisement of the LAN itself
(the “pseudonode” in IS-IS), a LAN is represented as a set of P2P links between
each of the nodes connected to the LAN.
Less scaleable but just as functional.

You, however, think you can get away with “If R1 advertises connectivity to the
LAN subnet and R2 and R3 also advertise connectivity to the same subnet that we
can assume that they are all connected” – which is an assumption that works
some of the time – but is not guaranteed.
It is easy to imagine this case if there is a switch and one of the ports on
the switch is faulty. (Other failure scenarios exist)

2)        How the inter-AS based solutions solve the non inter-AS scenario
requirements(A.2)?

[LES:] An interesting question given that you haven’t addressed this yourself.
What does it mean to advertise reachability to an anycast address (as you
propose to do)?
Does that tell you if you are connected to one of anycast servers? Some of the
anycast servers? All of the anycast servers?
You don’t know – you are just assuming.
But since your goal is “topology discovery” it is important to actually know
whether you have a link to a particular anycast server or not.
You don’t know – you just assume.

One point that I want to remind for your misunderstanding: the proposed
Stub-link TLV can contain other attributes sub-TLVs of the link.
And, if the interfaces share the same prefixes, they are in the same IP subnet.
Is there any ambiguously for the IP topology recovery?

What I want to emphasize is that the existing solutions are suitable for
inter-AS point-to-point TE, the proposed solutions are suitable(more
efficient)for inter-AS topology recovery(p2p, p2mp and broadcast etc.) and also
other non inter-as traffic optimization scenarios.  They are not contrary.

[LES:] AFAICT, your sole aim is efficiency – and you have given no thought to
validating the actual topology.

    Les

Aijun Wang
China Telecom

On Jan 17, 2024, at 00:57, Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)
<ginsberg=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org<mailto:ginsberg=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>>
 wrote:

Aijun –

Please see inline.