From: John Scudder <j...@juniper.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 9, 2024 10:38 AM
To: Acee Lindem <acee.i...@gmail.com>
Cc: The IESG <i...@ietf.org>; draft-ietf-lsr-isis-fast-flood...@ietf.org;
lsr-chairs <lsr-cha...@ietf.org>; lsr <lsr@ietf.org>; Zaheduzzaman Sarker
<zahed.sarker.i...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Zaheduzzaman Sarker's No Objection on
draft-ietf-lsr-isis-fast-flooding-10: (with COMMENT)

Thanks for the ping, Acee.

Looking at the latest version I have one question. The revised Section 6.2.2
says,

    Whereas flow control prevents the sender from overwhelming the

    receiver, congestion control prevents senders from overwhelming the

    network.  For an IS-IS adjacency, the network between two IS-IS

    neighbors is relatively limited in scope and includes a single link

    which is typically over-sized compared to the capability of the IS-IS

    speakers.  Only implementing flow control Section 6.2.1 is expected

    to give good results and be enough if the internals or the receiver

    is not significantly dropping LSP.  Otherwise, adding congestion

    control will help handling congestion of LSPs in the receiver.
I don’t understand what the new “only implementing flow control” sentence
means. Maybe it means something like, “In situations where the probability of
LSP drop is low, flow control [Section 6.2.1] is expected to give good results,
without the need to implement congestion control”. But maybe it doesn’t mean
that, I can’t tell for sure.

I’d appreciate a clarification from the authors (or someone else who knows!)
and probably one more revision to make the sentence more understandable. After
that, let’s ship it.

Thanks,

—John

On May 9, 2024, at 12:27 PM, Acee Lindem