From: Rodney Van Meter <r...@sfc.keio.ac.jp>
The WIDE Project, specifically founder Jun Murai, is pleased to announce that it
is transferring an entire /8 Class A IPv4 network to the Asia Pacific Network
Information Centre (APNIC).  APNIC will sell those addresses on the open market,
and place the proceeds in a charitable trust to be used for the development of
the Internet in Asia.

>From the press release, written first person by Jun Murai:
In considering the future of 43/8 I have again considered how it may be best
used for its original purpose. After careful consideration, I have taken a
decision to release this address block, for the purpose toward healthy
development of today’s Internet services and toward supporting Internet
development in the AP region. This is possible by making it available on the
IPv4 address market. This is an opportunity to produce a capital asset, with a
significant impact on Internet development, if used well and carefully. It is an
opportunity that exists today and might not be repeated at any point in the
Internet's future.
—
If you follow the development of the Internet, and especially IPv4 and IPv6, you
will immediately realize that this is a big deal. It will put millions of
dollars (I won’t even begin to speculate how much) into development for Asia.
This impact of this generous action will echo for decades in the development of
people and infrastructure throughout the continent and region.
Please do go read the full press release at
http://www.wide.ad.jp/News/2020/20200325_e.html
Also, although I am a WIDE Board member, I don’t speak for the board.  I
personally had nothing to do with the early Internet development here, that was
all before my time. I sat in the meeting with my jaw hanging down when Jun
proposed this. It was quickly agreed by the members present. I’m honored to be
part of such a generous community.
—Rod
--
Liberationtech is public & archives are searchable from any major commercial
search engine. Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: