Jim McQuillan wrote:

> WOW, that's some great info.

Thank you for your kind words :)
Thank you guys for the great product!

> I'm going to add your message to the wiki, so that others can easily find it.

Cool!

> Then, I'll see if I can figure out how to integrate the changes into
> LTSP, so that this problem doesn't happen.

It seems that xkb configuration files on the server and the terminal
need to be the same for the xkbcomp to work on the terminal. Linux
distributions differ in this respect, though, so it is not clear what
to package in LTSP.

It should be possible to NFS-export on the server - and mount
on the terminal - the "xkb" directory. In LTSP 4.2, this directory also
contains xkbcomp and a "compiled" link - they will need to be repackaged
elsewhere.

As is clear from the setxkbmap man page, the whole process of compiling
keyboard map across computers is fragile, and should be avoided. Maybe
we can persuade the maintainers of gnome-keyboard-properties - or,
better, xlibklavier (a library for working with the XKB extension) - to
compile the map on the server? (Although when I tried to compile the
keymap on the server manually, it failed for some reason...)

--
Leonid Dubinsky